Replacement Windows Education
If you’ve never bought replacement windows before, the process can be overwhelming. Fortunately, it’s easy to get up to speed. We’ll show you where to start, what features to look for, and what to expect from a dealer.
We’ll also point out common pitfalls in the process – some terms and measurements can be misleading. Our Glossary can help you better understand the unique window and door terminology that you’ll hear from salespeople, read in brochures or review online.
This section will help you out, no matter where you are in the process. By navigating the choices below, you’ll discover how to get started, evaluate your options, and choose the dealer/installer that’s right for you.
Click below for questions and answers about buying windows.
Learn the Basics
Readying to Buy
Interested in learning more about vinyl windows? Our resource pages have the answers. Click below to read more.
- What is condensation, and what causes it?
- What are single hung windows?
- What is a double hung window?
- How to recognize a good vinyl double hung window
- Are double hung vinyl windows better than single hungs?
- What is a casement window?
- What are vinyl picture windows?
- What is a sliding window?
- When to choose a sliding window over other windows
- What are awning windows and hopper windows?
- What are storm doors?
- What are sliding glass patio doors?
- What are garden windows?
- What is a bay replacement window?
- Top 10 Ways A Bow Window from Soft-Lite Will Improve Your Home
- Why choose colored or brown vinyl windows?
- Air Infiltration Ratings for Soft-Lite’s Vinyl Windows
- Why vinyl windows are better than non-vinyl windows
- What is ENERGY STAR®?